Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Reflections of Quarter 1: Setting the Table

The first quarter officially comes to an end today, hard to believe how fast its gone!  In my American History classes we've covered the time period extending from Reconstruction to about 1900.  It is my goal to get through WWI by the end of the second semester.  Although my students are often engrossed in subject material, the first few weeks of a new school year are about more than just American History, Algebra, or Biology.  To me the first quarter is about students learning how to interact in certain classes, understanding routines of each teacher, and getting used to the responsibility of a new school year.  Students have a lot going on, and the first quarter is about setting the table for the remainder of the semester/year.  I've been very pleased with how quickly my classes have learned the routines of my classroom, things have gone smoothly, I have learned a ton about these groups and they are beginning to understand how my classes function.

Other than the goal of getting through WWI in the 2nd quarter, my goals for my students over the next 9 weeks include: begin to create content rather than just consume it,  begin thinking critically about history, and continue discussing/analyzing current events and how they affect us individually.  It's been a great start to the school year, lets take it to the next level in quarter two!


1 comment:

  1. Great perspective on the 1st quarter, Kyle. Thanks for sharing your reflections and, just as important, your future goals!

    ReplyDelete